Having a cat can be fun, but it can also be tiresome when you do not want your cat to chew on certain plants. Since cats, unlike dogs love to climb, crawl and sometimes scratch, it is difficult to keep plants out of their reach.
So, if you do have a cat in your house, and plants in your house, you need to know which plants should not be there to help save your cat from accidents. Confused? Here’s a pro tip – when in doubt remove the entire plant.
Additionally, if you think a plant is poisonous, chances are there that all parts of the plant can cause issues. However, some plants might have more toxic substances than others, and can cause irritation and inflammation of body, mouth or the affected area of your pet. Here’s a list of the top 10 plants which are dangerous to your cat.
#1: Autumn Crocus
Crocus plants are known by the season they bloom in – Autumn and Spring. Although the ingestion of the Spring Crocus can cause mild gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea and vomiting, yet the dangerous Autumn Crocus can cause severe gastrointestinal issues like intestinal bleeding, kidney and liver damage, and even respiratory failure.
Similar to rhododendron, azalea can cause excessive drooling and diarrhea and possible coma, without proper veterinary attention.
Lilies in general can be toxic for your cats. Although there are a variety of lilies like peace, Peruvian and calla lilies which contain oxalate crystals and can cause minor issues, yet varieties like Tiger, Asiatic, Easter, Day and Japanese Show lilies can be fatal for your beloved pet.
Even ingestion in small amounts (like 2 – 3 petals or leaves) can cause kidney failure. If you see your cat consuming a lily plant, make sure you carry your cat and the lily to your veterinarian, so that the poison can be extracted and proper medication can be given. If the toxic level is low, decontamination methods like vomiting or using activated charcoal can work well. However, for higher toxic levels, intravenous fluid therapy, and kidney monitoring tests along with other intensive care is required.
Oleander is generally stored as an outdoor shrub, which can be beautiful to look at. However, the flowers and leaves are toxic for your pet and if consumed can cause vomiting and even death if not catered to at the proper time.
Daffodils might be good to look at and great as a plant, but its fatal for your cat. It is known to contain lycorine, which is an alkaloid, which triggers vomiting and can cause diarrhea, abdominal pain and even cardiac depression and arrest. The crystals, which are found on the outer layer of the bulbs, are known to cause severe irritation and drooling. So, if you know that your pet has consumed Daffodils leaves, petals or pollen grains, please contact your vet immediately
So, now that you know about these fatal plants, make sure that you do not have them in your house while you have a cat. Additionally, when you are travelling anywhere with your pet, make sure that your pet does not ingest these vomit triggering almost fatal substances.